How to get a visa to study in Spain

Spain is an attractive destination for students all over the world thanks to its historic universities and its cultural and touristic wealth. However, the legal procedures young people must follow in order to remain on Spanish soil once they have a spot at an educational institution can provoke certain questions. As lawyers specializing in international law, we’re happy to answer these frequently asked questions and make ourselves available to anyone in order to address their legal needs when it comes to developing their talent in our country.
The first thing to define is who needs to get authorization to remain in Spain while studying. Citizens of the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland, as well as family members to whom the EU citizenship regime may apply, do not need to apply for a visa. On the other hand, citizens of any other country are required to apply for a visa at a Spanish consular office in their country. It should be noted that there are nationalities for which a visa is not required as long as the stay will be under 90 days.
The key requirement that must be met and proven prior to applying for a visa is admittance to a Spanish educational institution. It must be for full-time studies in the course of obtaining a degree. It should also be noted that the visa application decision period can take up to a month, so it is necessary to apply in advance in order to start studies on time. On the other hand, the visa granted will have the same duration as the study program, with a maximum duration of one year.
Another important condition that must be met is financial sufficiency. There are two options: the student must prove that they have the means to return to their country as well as an amount equivalent to the IPREM (Public Indicator of Multiple Effect Income, which is €537.84 in 2018) for their monthly expenses, or they must prove that their accommodation has been paid for the entire stay in advance, as may happen if they have a scholarship. If the student will be accompanied by family members, financial requirements are added for each one: 75% of the IPREM for the first family member, and 50% for each successive family member, unless they have prepaid accommodation.
There are also health requirements: to have public or private health insurance valid in Spain, and to not have any illnesses with public health risks. Likewise, students must prove the absence of a criminal record for the last 5 years. And finally, if the student is a minor, they are required to have written authorization from their parents or legal guardians which lists all information related to the study program.
These are the basic conditions, although there is another set of specifications that we can tell you about if you require more detailed attention from our lawyers specializing in international law. If you need advice regarding a specific personal circumstance when getting a visa to study in Spain, ICN LEGAL can surely provide you with adequate service.

931 060 620